Members and donors must support the objectives and principles of the party, be at least 16 years old, normally be resident in Alberta and be a permanent resident of Canada.
If you pay provincial taxes, your credit will be 75% of the first $200, 50% of the next $900 and 33 1/3% over $1,100. The maximum tax credit is $1,000 reached with a donation of $2,300. The maximum total annual donation to all political entities (parties, constituency associations, candidates etc.) in Alberta is now $4000. Note that if you donate $250 or more in one calendar year, Alberta election law requires that your name and the donation amount be made public.
There is more information in the official Elections Alberta “Guide for Contributors“.
For example, if you donate:
- $ 20 your tax credit will be $ 15.00…. your cost = $5
- $ 50 your tax credit will be $ 37.50…. your cost = $12.50
- $100 your tax credit will be $ 75.00….your cost = $25
- $200 your tax credit will be $150.00….your cost = $50
- $500 your tax credit will be $300.00….your cost = $200
For more information on tax credits see Elections Alberta’s Tax Credits page.